jueves, 12 de junio de 2014

Beetroot Vanilla Cupcakes


Beetroot Vanilla Cupcakes (12 cupcakes)

Hello world!


Ok, this is kind of weird because I have about 19 post already and I haven’t even presented myself… Well my name is Carla, I’m from a small town near Barcelona. I love to cook, paint, and recently I'm quite fond of photography. I consider myself a creative person and cooking is the best way I’ve found to express it. I am currently studying biotechnology, closely related to another of my passions, biology. The reason I started this blog is because I am quite messy, I'm the type of person who has their room full of post it, and every time I cook something I can’t remember the recipe because I never had time to write it down or simply because I forgot so that’s why I decided to create Ginger & Soda. I really hope you like it!

If you want to ask me anything about any of the recipes don’t hesitate sending me a mail, I will be happy to answer all of your questions.

 





















I love red velvet cupcakes but I don't like to use artificial colors that much (to reach a nice red you have to  use more than 4 tablespoons), I always try to keep my recipes as healthy and natural as I can. So I looked for non artificial ways to reach red coloring and I found beetroot. It has a beautiful bright pink reddish color when uncooked and a nice red color after being baked. You can taste it on the cupcakes but it's flavor goes perfectly with vanilla and almond. 






























Ingredients

- 1 ½ cup whole-wheat flour
- ½ cup almond meal
- ½ cup beetroot juice (or pureed)
- ½ cup milk
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ cup poppy seeds to sprinkle on top
- 1 vanilla bean
- ¼ tsp salt

Directions

1 – Preheat the oven at 175°C
2 – In a bowl combine flour, almond meal, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
3 – Split a vanilla bean down the center with a sharp knife and then use the knife to scrape out all the seeds on the inside of the bean.
4 – On a pan, bring to boil milk and add the vanilla seeds. Set aside for 10 minutes or so.
5 – Beat the egg, beetroot juice, vegetable oil and sugar until combined. Then add the infused vanilla milk and mix well.
6 – Add the flour mixture and stir well.
7 – Pour the batter into greased cupcake molds, sprinkle poppy seeds on top and bake for 20 – 25 minutes.

NOTES: You can replace whole-wheat flour with all-purpose flour.







No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario